Wim Hof Method in the water...

I remember when I first came across Wim Hof method as an invite on my FaceBook page. I had no interest in Wim. I thought that he was mad. Also, if I wanted to know how to be warm in the cold I should apply myself and learn Tummo! But curiosity got the better of me. And I think I began to be pulled in when I realized that even though WHM seems an absurd thing to do - it isn't complicated, and it is free! 

The invite to learn WHM was offering a safe encounter with fear. That was my first thought anyway. And I knew that I needed that because therapy couldn't 'talk' to my body - and my body is where trauma lived.

So I started watching YouTube videos called things like 'I did Wim Hof Method for thirty days and this is what happened'! The breathing looked hard work. And cold showers are grim regardless, and nothing about Wim Hof method made any sense to me, yet those thirty-day WHM YouTubers were happy. Worse, they said they thought they would continue, they said it felt good. Though good refers to finishing the session when almost anything is better than standing under a cascade of icy water! 

This morning I realized that I have been practicing WHM for three years and three months. That I have let the practice get right under my skin, and that I am incredibly grateful for that invite. I welcome the changes it must have made to me - because I'm still doing it and I don't see why I should ever consider stopping!

Benefits of WHM.

So, there is this paper:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S294983412300034X

And it looks at what doing WHM for just six weeks does to people's brains.
Our study suggests that a relatively short 6-week WHM intervention leads to substantial increases in whole brain CB1 (cannabinoid receptors) binding, that in a heathy sample was associate with an improvement in sub-threshold mood and anxiety related symptoms. Such effects imply that the WHM is potentially relevant for the long-term management of alterations in mood and anxiety in lieu of medications (Garani et al., 2021, Urigüen et al., 2009). Our preliminary study provides a set of biological markers for interpreting the effects of an intervention like the WHM, and our interpretations detail credible mechanistic pathways through which such an intervention might exert its effect. As is evident, ongoing work will need to further elucidate the impacts of the WHM on brain chemistry, brain function and individual psychology.
Basically:
  1. A combination of controlled stressors and mindfulness alleviates stress and anxiety.
  2. Controlled stressors promote mental focus through improved interoception.
  3. Mindful interoceptive attention increases CB1R binding in cognitive networks.
  4. Increased CB1R binding promotes improved maintenance of emotional homeostasis.
  5. Behavioral interventions can improve cognitive control of the stress response.

Scott Carney.

Scott Carney has watched the rise of the Wim Hof empire. He was on a mission to debunk another cult leader - but Scott found out that what Wim offered, works. Scott's book 'What doesn't kill us'  helped grow the Wim Hof movement. But Scott's prime directive, his mission if you will is debunking cults and dismantling the madness of guru worship. 

Was Wim Hof becoming a guru?
Does this matter?

I still think that Wim Hof is bonkers. But he is who I needed when I began the practice. I needed his voice. I needed his confidence. I trusted that Wim has probably forgotten more than I know about how to use stressors and mind-set to control despair and fear. I needed a bit of his madness! As he says, he is a simple guy with a simple method, and that seems pretty much all anyone needs to know.

But ultimately Wim Hof method is pretty tough, and the truth is, people have died whilst practicing it.

Worse, from Scott's point of view, Wim is being treated as a guru.  And so Scott returned to the subject of Wim and his method with the aim of deconstructing Wim Hof method, and the mechanism behind the formation of cults with the aim of saving lives. 

Scott's argument is that doing the breathing technique whilst in the water is incredibly dangerous because hyperventilation can lead to people passing out. And at first I agreed 100% with Scott that there must be something wrong with the WHM. And yet, what hasn't been understood by these Wim Hof practitioners who are hyperventilating in the water? 

Why are people doing the breathing in the water when the words DO NOT DO THIS WHILST DRIVING OR IN THE WATER are repeated everywhere Wim Hof related?

But, Scott points out that there is film of Wim doing the breathing in the water. Plus, the method is three things, breathwork, the power of the mind and cold water exposure! Scott points out that there are plenty of instances recorded of Wim doing the breathing whilst in the water, and therefore it is no wonder people are confused! So, what's going on?

I resolved to uncover the connection between the three pillars of the WHM: breath, mind-set and cold water.

As a Hoffer I've probably passed out when doing the breathing.

As a Hoffer I have probably passed out once or twice while doing the breathing. But, I'm safe in bed. So, there are no consequences to this! There is a possibility that passing out is due to lack of carbon dioxide - carbon dioxide is required to enable oxygen to pass out of the blood and into cells - so the emergency systems may come on (I mean you pass out!) because oxygen isn't available in high enough quantities. Or, my preferred theory is - retention can be so peaceful that I fall asleep! Anyway! I was really confused when I heard the news reports about a woman - not doing Wim Hof method -  who had died after falling into the river. Medical experts were saying that she drowned because the water was so cold. 

At this point the two things may seem unrelated, the idea of people doing breath work in the water is different to falling in! 

What is the connection? 

Now Scott's theory is that people doing WHM in water die because of hypocapnia (lack of carbon dioxide) and the news reports are telling me people die from cold water...And I'm looking for the connection. I'm wondering why did Wim begin this whole hyperventilation thing. He is intelligent (and bonkers yes!) and he has found a way for people to safely get into freezing water. Indeed Hoffers often convert their freezers to become ice-baths! Everyone who starts practicing WHM knows that freezing water wont kill you! But, this is what medical experts are saying. 

And the truth is that hundreds of people die every year in cold water! So, forget the breathing for a bit, why does cold water kill people?

It is the shock that kills! 

Obviously shock when it is chosen is safe enough - or else theme parks would all have to close! But in water, the shock response is often lethal. We have an automatic cold-shock response, an automatic, and uncontrollable gasp for air, followed by hyperventilation. Which sounds a bit like Wim Hof Breathing. My understanding of why Wim may do the breathing in the water begins here:

I believe that it is true to say that people who fall into the cold water have less control over their shock response than someone who has practiced this. I know it is true in my case - because I have fallen into cold water - fully clothed, had no idea I was about to step into nothing!

It was as if my body knew what to do - is all I can say!
I'm fortunate, the water wasn't deep. I found myself laughing with a weird kind of insane joy at being such an idiot - and ducked my head under the water to get the full effect. Then suffered for the rest of the day because my clothes were wet - but worse, my boots were drenched and squelching for days!

So, there is shock, and that involuntary panic and inhale, which will be a lung full of water! It gets worse, even if they don't inhale, the sensation of cold water on the face triggers the dive response causing the heart to slow.  And I guess this is absolutely the moment when practicing WHM might save your life. The shock response and dive response create conflicting instructions for the heart; resulting in an uncontrolled mix of tachycardia and bradycardia. Adrenaline panic mode is pushing the heart rate way up, while the dive response is attempting to slow the heart down to about 50 bpm. 

That mix of instructions to the heart to both speed up and slow down can kill regardless of how healthy and strong you are. 

Breathwork to control the autonomic responses.

So, when we see Wim getting into the ice cold water and doing WHM breathing - I don't think he has ever said it should be three rounds of thirty breaths and retention in the water. I think Wim knows very well how the shock response, and the dive response can kill. So what I think I'm seeing is Wim using his breathing as the 'key' to self control. 

I believe that Wim uses his breath to create calm acceptance, so the shock wont cause him to breathe in a lung full of water, and nor does his heart go haywire. I think the hyperventilation - not in the water - but before getting in, 'calms the system. This is my experience anyway. 

And this calm is an essential part of the WHM; mind-set is the 'third pillar' using will power to trust oneself, to trust the cold - to know that 'the cold is merciless and righteous'! 

So, the mind-set of the WHM requires at the very least an attitude of respect for the power of the physical response, and calm determination to stay in control - compassion and self acceptance..

Embedding a habit.

My guess is that Wim takes deep breaths in when he gets into icy cold water to go with the shock reaction (but not 30!) and after he had practiced the breathing on dry land in safety to embed this habit as an antidote to the autonomic nervous systems conflicting responses to cold. 

Wim's major discovery, or insight is that in breath retention we begin to get closer to communicating with the automatic survival instincts. 

I imagine that he practiced extending the breath hold time because he wanted to extend how long he could stay under water. And no doubt he used hypocapnia too - which could indeed be a problem - but he has always got away with it! Like my uncle who smoked like a chimney and didn't die of cancer...yeah, doesn't make it OK.
When I view WHM as as a way to access the autonomic nervous system again it seems logical to say that used correctly a practice that helps a person control their autonomic responses will save lives.
Knowing how to stay calm has to be experienced, it can't be created intellectually, a physical practice is required and WHM is such a practice. 

Perhaps breathwork isn't needed to avoid cold shock, to do that we need to practice getting into cold water! But the breath work gives me knowledge and control of my panic response. 

For me that truth that Wim was dealing with the suicide of his wife, and that he has a background in studying yoga - regardless of where the method came from or why, I know that he has found and shared something incredibly simple and  powerful!

So...back to the subject of how to avoid dying in cold water!
 "During World War II, Admiral Jellicoe subjected himself to daily cold-water baths while his flagship was at Scapa. He showed great insight; the cold shock response can be reduced by 50% in as few as six 2-min cold immersions, and seems to last, in part, indefinitely. Habituation of the shivering response needs longer immersions (>30 min)." . [+]

So now you know! If you think you might fall into ice cold water one day and you don't want to panic, sorry but you are going to have to practice cold immersion - you don't need to do breathwork - but I bet it helps!

Comments