Section 2.

This is worse than I thought...

Section 3 made sense to me - detaining someone because they could be at risk of serious harm to themselves or others.

Section 2 is about accepting treatment.
I personally believe if a person with a mental health problem wont take medication, but there is a plan in place to work on their cognition and feelings, even though this is a long term treatment, the Service User has a right to be listened to.

My son equates SSIs with poison.
And getting him to take medication is in effect like asking him to kill himself.

You know, taking my son to hospital for severe anxiety, was the worst mistake of my life...

Transcript of dialogue between me and psychiatrist.

Dr: Service User, I've got to tell you, so this is your last chance I don't want to but I have no choice but to put you on a section 2 taken into hospital under a section 2."

Me: and I also need you to know that I am unwilling to give my consent to that.

Dr: you are willing.

Me: Unwilling.

Dr: unwilling parents cannot deter section 2.

Me: no, but I can tell you that I am unwilling.

Dr: I know I know but.

Me: and here is the letter that says I'm unwilling please put that in your notes.

Dr: yes thank you but you can take it up with the hospital manager although I say section 2 hospital recommendation there has to be three people; social worker and another doctor they will come and assess you. They may not agree with me, you may not be dettainable but if they agree you will be handed over to the hospital.

Me: now you are doing threat again.

Dr: not threatening him.

Me: I need to say it is harm to self or other's isn't it? He's not a harm to us and he is not harming himself.

Dr: not only harming self I have to consider the mental health act the more important thing is if the patient has a mental disorder or not, which he has. another factor is whether patients are willing to cooperate and take treatment from the mental health service which you are a bit reluctant so then three major factors you hit two major factors.

Me: is that harm to self though, really? Is it really self harming if a person refuses to take medication while he is working on his mental health in other ways. Is that really self harming to refuse to take medication.

Dr: well what's going to happen if he doesn't want to take medication he can deteriorate further.

Me: that's a possibility. Do you not think that he has improved I do. I think that he has improved considerably.

Dr: he may be but again you know but as I say you know depression.

Me: OK but I want it on record that I disagree fundamentally that only taking SSI in the morning is the one way for him to get better. I believe that he has made progress and that the change in his environment has been a critical factor  and I really want that to be understood that I disagree that he is harming himself.

DR: I'm not saying that he is harming himself.

Me: but under the section is that not the red line?

Dr: it's not only the one factor.

Me I will have to re-read the mental health act. As I understand it harm to self or others? It is a serious thing to section somebody so if you think that you can take somebody for not taking their medication then that’s quite a serious infringement isn’t it.

Dr: that’s what we do unfortunately.

Comments